Do you work/have an interest in the following sectors; blogging, online radio/TV, social media, subscribers of online content and online content hosts or operating Internet cafes? Are you concerned about the new laws that have disabling and restrictive provisions that directly impacts the ability of citizens to exercise their freedom of expression in Tanzania (The Electronic and Postal Communications 2018, 2015 Cybercrimes Act, Media Services Act 2016, data protection bill)? Do these rules directly impact one or more Voice target groups? Is there a national opportunity for strategic advocacy or litigation, offline protests, or coordination of collective action that can lead to change in legal decision, policy/laws, a shift in public attitudes and practices?
APPLY ONLINE-MODE OF APPLICATION
If you answer yes to the questions above, apply for a Sudden Opportunity Grant to promote the right to freedom of expression and fight cultures of self-censorship!
This grant is available from Euro 5,000 to Euro 200,000 for an intervention that will last between 6 and 12 months.
What do we wish to fund?
Collective action that will impact at least one or more of the Voice target groups;
- Women facing exploitation, abuse and/or violence,
- People with Disabilities,
- Age discriminated (youth and elderly),
- Indigenous People and Ethnic Minorities.
Voice has a strong preference for projects that intend to work with more than one target group to address overlapping vulnerabilities.
Your project can look at any or all of the following themes:
- Improved access to (productive) resources (finance, land and water) and employment,
- Improved access to social services, health and education in particular, and
- Space for political participation
Who do we wish to fund?
Applications are being accepted from a coalition, network or consortia with participation of human rights defenders, journalists, bloggers, NGOs and self-interested individuals or intellectuals who jointly and collectively seek the promotion and protection of civil and political rights of Voice target groups.
HOW TO APPLY??
Please follow these steps:
- Read thoroughly the Grant Manual for guidelines on how to apply, what is expected of grantees, criteria, schedule, and the granting process in Kenya.
- Take the eligibility test available on the next tab to assess whether you are eligible.
- If you have passed the eligibility test, you need to send an Email to firstname.lastname@example.org to describe your collective action in 1 to 2 paragraphs. In this Email you need to describe what the sudden opportunity is, the actions you intend to take, the actors undertaking the collective action, the amount needed and the duration. If the collective action meets the criteria of the grant, Voice will contact you to discuss further and send you an application form to complete.
- We aim to make decisions within 4 weeks after application. Projects that are rewarded with funding must be implemented within 6 – 12 months after approval of the application.
Should you have any questions, please read the FAQ first. If the information is not sufficient, please write to email@example.com for more information. We also encourage you to look at the Voice grantees’ page for an overview of what kind of projects Voice funds.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
Dedaline: December 31,2018