Picture a friendly, hip and happening university campus, nestled right in the heart of the Free State capital, Bloemfontein; a university that has produced some of the country’s top thinkers and academics; a university that continues to stand out as a beacon of academic excellence.
Of course, this is the University of the Free State, or UFS, one of the oldest institutions of higher learning in South Africa. To our students, staff, alumni, and friends, we are known as Kovsies.
Besides our Bloemfontein Campus, we also have a beautiful campus in the rural sandstone mountains of Qwaqwa in the Eastern Free State, and a smaller Open and Distance Learning Campus in Bloemfontein.
On these three campuses, a multicultural and diverse student population of more than 30 000 students are educated in English and Afrikaans across seven faculties, connected not only to the rest of the continent but also to the world.
Feel free to come take a stroll on campus and experience our way of life, where academic culture, critical scientific reflection, relevant scientific education, pure and applied research, community service, and the development of the total student as part of our academic culture are the building blocks in the creation of tomorrow’s leaders.
We also have a vibrant student life. Many cultural and sporting events make this an exciting place to be, as does our awesome student centre and the special events hosted by all our residences.
Gain exposure in the following areas:
- Manage the relationship between students and the university after graduation.
- Keep the alumni connected to one another and to the university, encourage, promote the professional development of alumni at an individual level, and keep the alumni community aware of the university’s developments and needs, including fundraising opportunities and achievements.
- Communicate with the alumni community through newsletters, events, web pages and other resources.
- Respond promptly to alumni inquiries.
- Work and collaborate with other office interns.
- Assist with daily office administration.
- Assist with the coordination of Alumni events.
- Research alumni best practices.
- Assist with content development
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification (preferably in communications).
- Understanding of events coordination.
- Knowledge of alumni relations.
- Administration skills.
- Research skills.
The following criteria apply to the selection of candidates:
- Not currently participating in an existing learnership / internship programme.
- Willing to sign a learnership / internship agreement with the UFS.
- Candidate must be available for a period of 1 year.
- Postgraduate qualification will serve as a recommendation.
Closing date: 23 January 2018.
All applications must be accompanied by the following:
- A detailed curriculum vitae.
- Copies of qualifications (please provide the SAQA accreditation in the case of foreign qualifications).
- A copy of your identity document (ID).
General:The University reserves the right not to fill the post. The University subscribes to and applies the principles prescribed by the Employment Equity Act. Preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups, in accordance with the principles of the aforementioned act and the employee profile of the specific department / division.
Applications that are incomplete or sent by fax or e-mail will not be considered. Communication will be limited to shortlisted candidates only. Should you not be contacted within six weeks of the closing date for applications, you may assume that your application was unsuccessful.