Job Title: Controller
This position is responsible for managing all aspects of financial accounting and reporting of the program. The Controller will serve as the point person for accounting, auditing and reporting functions. He/she is responsible for ensuring that the program complies with all applicable financial policies and procedures, laws and regulations and donor reporting requirements
Reports To: Finance Director
Location: Mbeya, Tanzania
Contract: One year, with option(s) to renew
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages the finance/accounting staff to ensure that appropriate financial standards, procedures, and finance reporting standards are adhered to, in accordance with, MHRP, HJFMRI and donor requirements.
- Tracks open site specific finance items and works to provide guidance, resolution, and/or progress reports to various stakeholders in a timely manner.
- Ensures that annual reporting schedules are developed, maintained and shared, financial analysis and reports are complete, accurate, and can be submitted prior to established deadlines.
- Oversees the training, development and coaching of finance/accounting staff. Implements accounting policies, procedures, rules and regulations; compiles and updates applicable local policies and trains program staff in all policies and procedures
- Plans and monitors cash flow requirements and wire request in conjunction with the Program Manager (Finance) to ensure the smooth implementation of programs.
- Plans and implements systems for financial operations in accordance with MHRP policies and procedures, including systems for accounting, cash flow management, budgeting, financial reporting, financial record keeping, grant management, partner monitoring and compliance.
- Is responsible for the management of reports from all offices and provides monthly standard financial submissions to Finance Program Manager for review and recommendations,
- Assist in preparation of annual fiscal year budgets with the Sr. Management team and develops and implements grant budgets and forecasting systems with the Acquisitions Manager.
- Conducts financial reviews as required to ensure compliance with MHRP and donor requirements. On a monthly basis, reviews reports provided by financial analyst to program budget holders regarding financial analysis of expenses and annual projection trends to determine present and future financial performance of the program, the individual projects, and provides feedback to the Senior Management, on monthly projections
- Provides analysis and reporting on special projects, as required
- Provides written reports to Financial Program Manager on income, expenditure and variation from the budget.
- Responsible for the discovery, mitigation and documentation of financial risks.
- Develops and maintains an excellent working relationship with MHRP, HJF/MRI and HJF finance and accounting departments and staff, as well as with other partner organizations, ensuring that the program is well received and presented professionally and positively
- Respects confidentiality in discussing staff and partner organizational matters; also maintains confidentiality of the program, and its project, fiscal and personnel related information.
- Work closely with the program support teams within the site and region to coordinate monthly closing and reporting to HJFMRI Headquarters.
- Manage preparation, consolidation and distribution of timely monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements reflecting status of programs on grant-to-date basis in accordance with International Accounting Standards (IAS), International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and donor requirements.
- Monitor integrity of accounting data and ensure compliance with organizational financial policies and procedures, in-country statutory requirements and donor regulations.
- Provide appropriate guidance to support staff within the program, including allowable and non-allowable costs, project startup or closeout, preparation of wire requests, preparation of budgets and budget modifications.
- Oversee and provide coordination of HJFMRI internal and external annual audits and provide auditors with accounting documents and explanations to audit queries, as requested.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Proficiency in both English and local languages, preferred.
- CPA-T and MBA required
- At least 8-10 years of mid-senior level work experience, professional accounting firm experience is a plus, 3-4 years of supervisory experience a must
- Prior PEPFAR, DOD, USAID, CDC or other large donor experience a plus
- Strong computer skills
- Exceptional work ethic
- Strong analytical skills
- Exceptional written and verbal communication.
- Accuracy in daily work and other projects
- Demonstrates exceptional professional judgment
- Ability to meet and communicated schedules and deadlines
- Ability to function effectively both autonomously and on complex/sensitive issues and projects.
An individual should have extensive knowledge of Microsoft Word; Excel, Access, Power point and
QuickBooks accounting software.
HJFMRI is an equal opportunity employer; women are highly encouraged to apply
Cover letters and resumes should be sent by mail through post/EMS/DHL/ or any reliable Courier to the:
Manager, P.O. Box 6396, Mbeya
or transmitted by email to; email@example.com
NOTE: to be considered, applicants must put the TITLE OF THE JOB in the SUBJECT LINE, avoid delivering the application in person. Those who do not meet the minimum requirements as detailed below should not submit applications.
Warning: Never Pay To Get A Job. Legitimate companies dont ask for money.