Job Opportunities at Aga Khan Health Service, Tanzania (AKHST)
The Aga Khan Health Service, Tanzania (AKHST) The Aga Khan Health Service, Tanzania (AKHST) an institution of The Aga Khan Development Network, completed a major phase II expansion of the Aga Khan Hospital, Dar es Salaam in 2018.
This expansion has improved the Hospital’s quality of facilities and infrastructure an ultramodern 170 bed facility and increased its capacity as a provider of high-quality tertiary care, referral and teaching hospital. The key clinical services including a comprehensive cardiology programme, oncology services, and neurosciences, orthopedics and trauma, diagnostic imaging, critical care, and women and child health programmes.
The Hospital is JCI Accredited (achieved a level of quality and patient service that is equal to the best hospitals in the world) and the teaching site for The Aga Khan University, which offers postgraduate medical education programs leading to Master of Medicine in Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Surgery and Obstetrics and Gynecology.
It is also an accredited internship site. As part of the integrated health systems approach, AKHST has establish 20 outreach health facilities that are located across Tanzania.
We are seeking for enthusiastic, qualified, and experienced Chair of the Departments as shown below:
MEDICAL PRACTITIONER POSITIONS:
- Department Chair / HOD, Internal Medicine
- Department Chair/ HOD, Surgery
- Department Chair / HOD, Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Department Chair / HOD, Family Medicine
- Department HOD, Pediatrics
- Department HOD, Accident & Emergency
- Department HOD, Radiology
The Department Chair / HOD is the Department’s chief academic and administrative officer, responsible to both the administrative / clinical services and for faculty, the University program. The chair / HOD reports to the associate Dean for all university related duties and to the Chief Executive Officer, AKHST for all administrative / clinical service responsibilities. These dual roles require that the Chair / HOD interpret both the Hospital clinical and University policies to the members of the department and ensure their effective execution and at the same time represent individual and group concerns of department members to the Hospital Administration and University and Medical School.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES ACADEMIC:
- Provide visionary leadership of the department and to oversee the departmental strategic planning to improve the quality of the clinical, educational, and research programs. Such planning should be considered within the overall vision for the University, the Medical School, and the teaching hospital.
- Lead the development and enhancement of departmental educational, and research activities, in accordance with the visions and plans of the Aga Khan University Medical College and Aga Khan Hospital, Dar es Salaam.
- Responsible for maintaining the quality of the faculty by protecting their interests and rights as individuals and as professional scholars and educators and for supporting their professional development.
- Responsible for annual evaluation of all faculty and responsible for managing all faculty appointments, reappointments, promotions and exits according to Aga Khan University’s and teaching hospital policies and Procedures.
- Responsible for recommending to the associate Dean of Medical College for the appointment of program directors.
ADMINISTRATIVE / CLINICAL:
- Provide vision and effective leadership of the department, including strategic planning including budget and financial planning and management), in accordance with the departmental strategic plan.
- Set annual actionable plan for the department and ensure comprehensive delivery of clinical services.
- Supervise procedures for recruiting, interviewing, and appointing new clinicians (including private / visiting consultants) / faculty members and for the department’s adherence to the principles and process of AKU and AKHST.
- Accountable for the clinical development, and performance of the department and responsible for ensuring budgeted volumes (including case mix) and revenues are met
- Oversees and accountable for the department’s clinical governance and patient safety and quality program.
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor of Medicine and/or Bachelor of Surgery.
- Master’s degree in MMed or equivalent in relevant field of specialization.
- Fellowship of relevant field of specialization.
- Minimum post graduate experience of specified field.
- Experience in leading clinical and academic programmes at an academic medical center.
- Appointable as senior lecturer or assistant professor in line with TCU requirements as shall be a recognized specialist in that area of training.
- Have a practicing license and TCU certificate clearance.
- Experience as a successful administrative leader at an academic Teaching institution.
- Understanding of the complex financial pressures facing academic medical centers and health care delivery organizations.
- Capable of defining the research vision for the entire department and providing basic research and grant mentorship.
- A record of scholarly academic accomplishments as reflected in number and impact of publications, history of successful research funding, and service in national and international societies.
- High integrity and ethical standards.
- Commitment to community engagement and partnership.
- Clear, articulate communication skills.
- Highly organized with strong process-management skills.
- Commitment, strong work ethic, and a desire to have impact at a national or international level.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLICATIONS SHOULD BE SUBMITTED ELECTRONICALLY TO: [email protected] WITH THE SUBJECT LINE OF THE POSITION OR HAND DELIVERED TO HUMAN RESOURCE DEPARTMENT, P. O. BOX 2289, OCEAN ROAD, DAR ES SALAAM.
CLOSING DATE FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS IS END OF BUSINESS DAY ON 25TH OCTOBER 2021.
PLEASE NOTE: ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED FOR INTERVIEWS.
”AKHS is concerned about the climate and environmental crises we face and is doing everything possible to reduce our own impact, encouraging others to do the same, and advancing understanding in this field. AKHS has set itself the task of getting as close to net-zero carbon operations as possible by 2030. We expect all staff to contribute to achieving these aims in the context of their roles. We encourage applicants with previous experience or an interest in this field to apply