POPULATION SERVICES INTERNATIONAL (PSI) TANZANIA
Population Services International (PSI) Tanzania is a not-for-profit Tanzanian trust which has been working to improve the health of Tanzanians since 1993. We use Social Marketing to engage private sector resources and use private sector techniques to encourage healthy behaviour, and make markets work for the poor. We are affiliated with PSI, an international social marketing organization working in over 60 countries, and based in Washington DC.
A Tanzania where people are empowered to lead healthy lives.
Through sustainable and effective collaboration, to measurably improve the health of vulnerable people in Tanzania by promoting healthy behaviours and delivering quality affordable products and services.
OUR CORE VALUES
The following core values reflect what is truly important to us as an organization, and underpin our culture. By maintaining these core values, we can preserve what has always been special about working for PSI Tanzania.
We strive to be:
- Results Oriented: We produce measurable results through optimal use of resources in a timely fashion.
- Innovation: We use creativity to help us deliver and achieve results.
- Quality: What we do, we do well.
- Integrity: We are honest and transparent in all our actions and are accountable for what we do.
- Collaboration: We encourage team work and embrace partnerships.
- People: We value individual skill and initiative. We promote decision making at all levels.
PSI Tanzania currently works in four of the Government of Tanzania’s priority intervention areas of HIV malaria, reproductive health and diarrheal disease. We are committed to supporting the government’s stated goals:
- To reduce the rate and number of new HIV infections by 25% by 2012
- To reduce maternal mortality by two thirds and to increase the contraceptive prevalence rate to 60% by 2015.
- By 2013, 80% of pregnant women and children under five years of age are sleeping under ITNs in all districts, and 90% of households own at least one ITN
- To increase access to clean and safe water, and reduce child mortality from neglected diseases such as diarrhea
PSI Tanzania’s support to these goals in turn will contribute to Tanzania achieving at least three millennium development goals (Goal 4: to reduce child mortality, Goal 5: to reduce maternal mortality, and Goal 6 to combat malaria and HIV).
PSI/Tanzania is dedicated to improving the health of people in Tanzania by focusing on serious challenges including a lack of family planning, HIV and AIDS, barriers to maternal health, and the greatest threats to children under five, including malaria, diarrhea and pneumonia. PSI/Tanzania promotes both health services and products accompanied by robust communications and distribution efforts that help ensure wide acceptance and proper use. We work largely through the private sector and in partnership with the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare and a range of local and international organizations in order to create health solutions that are built to last. By charging for its products and services, PSI/Tanzania is able to leverage private markets, engage communities in improving their own health, while also helping increase the efficiency of donor investments through reinvesting the income generated.
OUR HEALTH AREAS