Organization: Search for Common Ground
Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 16 Oct 2017
We are Searchers.
We are over 600 strong worldwide. We believe in our mission to end violent conflict.
It’s our purpose- our call to action.
A Searcher understands our vision of a world where:
Differences stimulate social progress, rather than precipitate violence
Respect for and cooperation with those we disagree with is considered the norm
A Searcher is a dedicated, enthusiastic and passionate individual, committed to our values.
Shared Humanity. Empathy. Impartiality. Inclusivity. Courage. Hope. Humility. Audacity.
With headquarters in Washington, DC and Brussels, Belgium, we implement projects from 55 offices in 34 countries, including in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States. You will be joining other highly motivated Searchers with a good team spirit and through commitment and dedication, have opportunities to grow.
We are searching for…
The Media Assistant position will be based in Dar es Salaam. This position will work under Search Tanzania’s two projects implemented in Tanga, Arusha, Dar es Salaam, and Zanzibar with overall objectives of strengthening community resilience to key drivers of potential violent extremism in at-risk areas as well as promote peaceful coexistence in communities. The projects seek to promote participation and inclusion of populations vulnerable to extremism (especially young men and women) as well as fostering interfaith collaboration and social cohesion in communities through an innovative mix of trainings, community dialogues, media campaigns and other community-led initiatives.
The projects engage a wide range of stakeholders including: radio and television stations, media practitioners, community leaders, local authorities, civil society organizations, security officials, and community members, with a particular focus on women and youth.
The Media Assistant will support the Project Coordinator in management and implementation of all media aspects of the two projects. S/he will also support other Search Tanzania media work as required. S/he will work under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator in close coordination with the Project Associates/Focal Points, Design Monitoring and Evaluation (DM&E) Officer as well as the Country Director as required.
The roles and responsibilities include:
- Work with the Project Associates/Focal Points (Arusha/Tanga and Dar es Salaam/Zanzibar), DM&E Officer and Project Coordinator for effective planning and implementation of media activities;
- Support the day-to-day media activities of Search projects, including planning, logistics, and oversight;
- Under the supervision of the Project Coordinator, design and implement a multi-media campaign under the projects;
- Work with the Project Coordinator, Finance and Administration Manager to negotiate with radio and television channels to broadcast Search activities, as well as to market and distribute media products via traditional and new media;
- Work with Search’s Regional/Head Quarters Communications team to ensure media aspects of the country’s activities are shared internally and externally;
- Be the focal point for all Search Tanzania social media platforms, ensuring that real-time updates of activity highlights are posted on social media, including Facebook, Twitter and WhatsApp groups;
- Work with the DM&E Officer to develop tools for tracking and evaluating media activities and participate in data collection, and conducting listenership surveys as requested;
- Compile and submit monthly Media Activity Reports;
- Meet regularly with Project Coordinator to review progress of projects against project objectives, indicators and deliverables, and give meaningful input and recommendations into the project management and institutional learning;
- Collation of media logs for media programs;
- Working with Project Associates/Focal Points to update real time and other content on Search’s social media platforms;
- Travel to communities regularly to ensure media activities are on track and to troubleshoot as needed;
- Be directly engaged in the continuing development of the organization, its mission, and its staff, through the sharing of experience and knowledge.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key duties.
You are… You meet the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Mass Communication, Journalism, Theater Arts or a related field;
- Demonstrated technical capacity to provide support and guidance to project staff on design and implementation of radio, television and other media programs;
- Ability to successfully facilitate trainings and dialogues using participatory methods;
- Professional knowledge and experience in using and applying social media in programming;
- High standards of integrity, professionalism, and impartiality;
- The ability to work independently and effectively in a team environment;
- A proven track record of being proactive;
- The ability to multi-task and work to meet tight deadlines;
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, e-studio as well as web browsers;
- Fluency in Kiswahili and English, both verbally and in writing;
- The ability to travel across project areas.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position.
Duration: An initial six month contract with possibility of renewal
How to apply: APPLY THROUGH…
Sound good? To apply, interested candidates should**:
- Send a cover letter and current resume to our employment website here.
- Include the following in your cover letter
- minimum salary requirements (or current salary)
- projected start date,-where you found this posting.
This position will close on Friday October 13, 2017**.** We are looking to fill this position with the right candidate. Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Please see our website www.sfcg.org for full details of our work.
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO JOIN MORE THAN 100000+ FOR DAILY JOB ALLERTS
[email-subscribers namefield=”YES” group=”Public”]