Organization: Search for Common Ground
Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 16 Oct 2017
We are Searchers.
We are over 600 strong worldwide. We believe in our mission to end violent conflict.
It’s our purpose- our call to action.
A Searcher understands our vision of a world where:
Differences stimulate social progress, rather than precipitate violence
Respect for and cooperation with those we disagree with is considered the norm
A Searcher is a dedicated, enthusiastic and passionate individual, committed to our values.
Shared Humanity. Empathy. Impartiality. Inclusivity. Courage. Hope. Humility. Audacity.
With headquarters in Washington, DC and Brussels, Belgium, we implement projects from 55 offices in 34 countries, including in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States. You will be joining other highly motivated Searchers with a good team spirit and through commitment and dedication, have opportunities to grow.
We are searching for…
The Project Associate/Focal Point position will be based in Dar es Salaam. This position will work under Search Tanzania’s is two projects implemented in Tanga, Arusha, Dar es Salaam, and Zanzibar with overall objectives of strengthening community resilience to key drivers of potential violent extremism in at-risk areas as well as promote peaceful coexistence in communities. The projects seek to promote participation and inclusion of populations vulnerable to extremism (especially young men and women) as well as fostering interfaith collaboration and social cohesion in communities through an innovative mix of trainings, community dialogues, media campaigns and other community-led initiatives.
The projects engage a wide range of stakeholders including: radio and television stations, media practitioners, community leaders, local authorities, civil society organizations, security officials, and community members, with a particular focus on women and youth.
The position reports to the Project Coordinator, based in Dar es Salaam. The position will be responsible for implementation of activities and support day-to-day monitoring and evaluation (M&E) in the targeted communities in Dar es Salaam and Zanzibar. S/he will assist the Project Coordinator and Design, Monitoring and Evaluation (DM&E) Officer in project planning, implementation and reporting. S/he will also be actively involved in the collection, analysis and filing of M&E data. This position requires regular travel to project locations.
The roles and responsibilities include:
- Update the Project Coordinator on relevant changes in context and dynamics on the ground in project area;
- Assist the project staff and partners to conduct any baseline, mapping, needs assessments within selected communities;
- Build and maintain excellent relationships with any partners and relevant stakeholders at the local level including community members (youth and women), civil society, media outlets, government officials, media and security sector officials, etc;
- Make logistical arrangements for all project activities (organization of trainings and related travel etc.);
- Draft high quality activity reports and contribute to overall project reporting efforts;
- Contribute to design of call for proposals for small grants and contribute to select the best community led initiatives;
- Assist the selected local sub-recipients of small grants with grants cycle management: drafting of proposals, collecting financial documentation, reviewing activity reports and ensuring timely submission;
- Support DM&E Officer to monitor and evaluate progress on project activities, capturing results, successes, challenges and lessons learnt;
- Working with the Admin/Finance and teams to ensure that financial documentation is collected and recorded in timely manner; contribute to financial projections and work plans for upcoming activities;
- Support to DM&E Officer with the design of monitoring tools for project activities, and assist with the analysis of data for activity reports.
- Conduct field visits to collect monitoring data, including success stories, as included in the M&E plan;
- Participate in the design and implementation of baseline and evaluation activities, under the supervision of the DM&E Officer; and
- Support the DM&E Officer with any other tasks as needed.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key duties.
You are… You meet the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related area, preferably in conflict resolutions, international studies, monitoring and evaluation (M&E), development cooperation or human rights;
- At least two years’ experience in peacebuilding, development, monitoring and evaluation (M&E) and/or related fields community relations, government relations or sustainability;
- Previous field experience in Dar es Salaam and/or Zanzibar considered an advantage, with excellent relationships with local stakeholders;
- Previous experience working in prevention and peace-building, community dialogue and/or social cohesion initiatives considered an advantage;
- Strong and proven ability in report writing, desk review elaboration, and other methods;
- Experience as trainer/facilitator;
- Demonstrated experience in budget management in compliance with internal policies;
- Spoken and written fluency in Kiswahili and English;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Cultural sensitivity and adaptability;
- Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of stakeholders;
- Good command of Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point;
- Dynamic, creative and solution-oriented;
- Ability to maintain professionalism, creativity, and enthusiasm while working in a fast-paced, multi-cultural environment with minimal supervision;
- Cultural sensitivity and strong interest in dialogue, peace building and conflict transformation; and
- The ability to travel extensively in Dar es Salaam and Zanzibar (Pemba & Unguja)
Duration: An initial six month contract with possibility of renewal
How to apply; APPLY THROUGH,,,>>>
Sound good? To apply, interested candidates should**:
- Send a cover letter and current resume to our employment website here.
- Include the following in your cover letter
- minimum salary requirements (or current salary)
- projected start date,
- where you found this posting.
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO JOIN MORE THAN 100000+ FOR DAILY JOB ALLERTS
[email-subscribers namefield=”YES” group=”Public”]