JOBS DETAILS AND MODE OF APPLICTAION
The Mission of WHO is the attainment by all people of the highest possible level of health
Date of Issuance:11 February 2019
Position title;Surveillance Officer – Immunization
Type of contract:SSA
Duration of contract:Twelve months
Closing date:1st March 2019
Under the supervision and general guidance of the WHO Representative and in collaboration with the technical unit (IVD) of the Family and Reproductive Health, the incumbent will support the WHO Office in providing technical expertise to the Ministry of Health, Community development, Gender, Elderly and Children, Expanded Program on Immunization for improving planning, management, monitoring and evaluation of Immunization services in Tanzania;
The general terms of reference will be to coordinate consultations, negotiations and discussions with national authorities on policies, strategies, reviews, monitoring and evaluation of various health programmes as will be directed by WHO Representative.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To support the country’s efforts towards Polio Eradication, Neonatal Tetanus Elimination and Measles elimination;
- Support the design and provision of IDSR training that is designed to improve the capacities of the health system at regional, district and health facility levels.
- To support training of District Health Management teams and peripheral health workers on EPI service delivery, EPI Disease Surveillance and Control;
- To contribute to the development of approaches to improve the management and the use of EPI data at sub national levels, and to strengthen capacity to plan, manage and monitor progress towards achievement of EPI objectives;
- To participate in the investigation of Acute Flaccid Paralysis and Neonatal tetanus, outbreaks of measles and other diseases of Public Health importance.
- Support effective operational integration of disease control efforts based on the surveillance data
- Support initiation and guide outbreak investigations promptly following IDSR Standard Operating Procedures.
- Supports the continuous and reliable identification of both common and newly detected infectious diseases to enable prioritization of interventions for a stronger health system.(IHR 2005 implementation)
- Prepare reports of field investigations and missions; produce monthly reports on surveillance activities and other EPI activities for WHO and MOHSW;
- Collaborate with international agencies supporting vaccine preventable disease control programmes (e.g. UNICEF, UNHCR, CDC, UNFPA, SCF and World Bank) at sub national levels
- Perform any other duties assigned by the WHO Representative.
Educational background and experience:-
- University Degree in Medicine (MBBS, MBChB, MD) from recognized institution.
- Post graduate degree in Public health preferably in epidemiology or other related public health fields.
- At least 5 years of experience in Medical Sciences, Statistics, Epidemiology and Research activities.
- Experience in disease surveillance prevention and control at national and/or international level
Other Skills (e.g. IT):
- Excellent knowledge of Statistical packages, Geo-mapping and Microsoft application (e.g. Excel, Word, Power Point, etc)
Fluency in English and Kiswahili is mandatory.
Communicating in a credible and effective way
Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond.
Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
Functional Skills and Knowledge
Ability to work under pressure to make decision, to elaborate strategies and organize priorities
Ability to coordinate activities and undertake multitasks
Strong analytical skills and good judgment.
Sense of prioritization and attention to detail.
Ability to liaise with people at all levels and to proactively search for information.
Self-motivated, flexible and able to innovate.
Ability to write in a clear and concise manner, and to present information.
Ability to work in stressful context and under tight deadline
Ability to work in an international and multi-cultural environment
The interested candidates should address an application comprising of a detailed Curriculum Vitae, copies of certificates/diplomas/degrees and testimonials to:
The WHO Representative
1 Albert Luthuli Street, Ocean Road
P 0 Box 9292
Dar es Salaam
N.B. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
WHO HAS A SMOKE FREE ENVIRONMENT!!!!