We are seeking for a qualified candidate to a position of Accountant
Minimum Qualification: Bachelor
Experience Level: Executive level
Experience Length: 4 years
Reports To: HEAD OF OFFICE/MBEYA
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is the official overseas relief and development organization of United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and has served people living in poverty and situations of vulnerability in over 100 countries since 1943. In Tanzania, CRS has served vulnerable communities for over 50 years and implements its programs through partnerships with the Government of Tanzania, International and local organizations and community entities for maximum impact and sustainability.
The anticipated Accelerating and Massively Scaling-up Land and Livelihood Restoration program is a climate change initiative to be funded by G9-2030 donors aimed at supporting climate-vulnerable communities in Tanzania to improve the sustainability and resilience of their ecosystem goods and services and increase household resilience and adaptive capacity. While working with the Government of Tanzania and different stakeholders, the program will take a multi-faceted, evidence-based approach to scaling-up evergreening practices and will develop equitable agroforestry value chains and ecosystem-based businesses to underpin the sustainability of the scaling-up process.
The anticipated program aims at improving livelihoods, food and nutrition security, and resilience to climate change for small scale farmers and/or pastoralist while restoring ecosystem services, particularly through evergreen agriculture, covering four zones in mainland Tanzania and Zanzibar. These zones include the semi-arid agro-ecological zone of northern and central Tanzania, Southern Zone and Southern Highlands.
This 5-year climate change initiative will be implemented through a coalition of national and international NGOS including CARE, CRS, World Vision and ICRAF in close coordination with the Government of Tanzania.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review and validate supporting documentation before processing of financial transactions to ensure all required documents are accurate and complete and authorizations are in place.
- Conduct assessment and Monitoring of sub recipient financial system and internal control using CRS standard checklist, properly document Capacity assessment results and outcomes in in each sub recipient file and follow up sub recipient implementation of the corrective action plan and provide technical assistance.
- Set and monitor sound accounting and financial reporting procedures for sub-recipients and partners following established standards. Ensure setup and maintenance of all data required for processing financial transactions financial accounting package.
- Record financial transactions following appropriate authorizations.
- Review and analyze various accounts to detect irregularities. Advise on corrective actions and prepare correcting entries and adjustments, as necessary.
- Monitor disbursement/receipt schedules, alert relevant stakeholder of due payments/liquidations and maintain appropriate communication and follow-up to facilitate timeliness of financial resource management and compliance with set deadlines.
- Prepare various periodic and ad hoc financial reports and perform variance analysis to assist management with decision-making. Assist with budget maintenance for proper management of financial resources.
- Provide information to Mbeya Head of office, Dar es salaam Finance staff, sub- recipients, and partners on financial accounting policies and procedural compliance issues.
- Deliver training and other capacity building to sub recipient and other staff.
- Perform assigned treasury (cash payment/receipt, cash forecast, etc.) duties.
- Prepare bank reconciliation
- Perform any other task assigned by Supervisor
Requirements: Education, work experience and skills
- B.A. degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business Administration with courses in accounting.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), ACCA or equivalent
- Minimum of four years’ experience in a position with similar responsibilities, preferably with an international or local INGO, Auditing firms or a financial/banking institution.
- Knowledge of the relevant public donor regulations preferred.
- Proficient in MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications.
- Knowledge of financial accounting package.
- Willingness and ability to travel at least 50% of the time to project sites.
- Excellent Command of Swahili and English languages, in Swahili and English
Disclaimer: These job descriptions are not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the respective position.
CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants are requested to submit their applications to CRS Human Resources Manager at TZ_HR@crs.org by 17h00 EAT on 06 June 2020.
Only submissions that meet the following criteria will be reviewed
Subject line must read indicate the position applied for.
CV must be in Word or PDF format and not exceed 4 pages.
Cover letter summarizing qualifications and motivation. Cover letter must be in Word or PDF format and not exceed 1 page.
Kindly note, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted